Monday, December 28, 2009

The First Christmas

It's been 2009 years... In a million years I could never imagine what it would be like to know that God has chosen me to carry the Savior of the world. Knowing that I would be giving my precious baby up for the saving of everyone else. What was Mary thinking that first Christmas? Even though I think the song has been overplayed in the last few years, I just wonder if Mary really knew what her life was going to be like after the birth of her baby. In the last 1o months, I have been almost daily surprised at what all Olivia does. Was it the same for Mary?
This has been such a special Christmas for me. I have really seen this year from someone else's point of view. I spent Christmas morning misty-eyed just thinking about what it was like 2009 years ago in a stable filled with animals. I have been amazed this year at the love that I feel for Olivia, and the love that she shows me, knowing that the only person who loves her more than me is her Heavenly father. Such an amazing thought...

Traditions
So, this year, because it was our first family Christmas, Michael and I wanted to establish some traditions. I wanted to start this year with a birthday party for Jesus, but didn't think Olivia would really understand or care, so I decided to wait until next year. Before we started opening presents though, Michael told Olivia all about why we have presents and what Christmas really means. It was very sweet. Also, in an attempt to thwart the beginnings of materialism, Michael and I have decided to follow in the footsteps of some of our friends (with a little modification). We decided that we wanted to do three gifts from Santa Claus to represent the three gifts from the Wise Men to Jesus, and one special or sentimental gift from us. This year, her three gifts from Santa were toys: a polite tea set, pink mega blocks, and a sit and ride toy. For her special gift from us we chose the Guess How Much I Love You book - two copies - a board book to play with now, and a special copy for her to have when she won't tear up the pages. Her stocking contained the practical...bath stuff and fruit snacks!First, Olivia opened a gift from MawMaw and PawPaw Parrish. A sweat suit outfit with some tee-shirts. Sweet!
Then she opened her stocking. The bath soap was a big hit. She kept going back to it. She loves bath time!
Checking out the gear shift on her new riding toy. It is also a walker. It collapses down into a rider.
Mega blocks! We have since decided to put these up for a few months. They're meant for 1+ ages, so we'll probably get them out around February. (GOSH - she's almost a year old!!)

Working on opening a present with Daddy. She still isn't sure about tearing the paper!Although it was after 7am, she was still sort of sleepy!Reading her new book. Having tea with Daddy! (And yes, that's a booger bubble. Sorry.) The soda in the background was in my stocking! :)This year's tree. Notice the lack of ornaments around the bottom third of the tree. Those are the ones she could reach...

No comments: