Saturday, January 2, 2010

The Name

I have wanted to be a mom forever. I look back at pictures of me coddling my dolls, giving them bottles, and pushing them around in miniature strollers. I have DREAMED of being called Mommy. It's such a sweet word that means so many different things. Comfort. Love. Warmth. Protection. Devotion. I find all of these qualities in my own mother which is why she is so precious to me, although I don't call her Mommy anymore. So, is it what you are called as a mother that is what is special, or is it just that you are called?
For a few weeks now I have notice Olivia repeating "BeeBee" - a LOT. At first I thought she was saying "baby", or maybe even referring to some toy. But then she started patting me and saying "BeeBee". Hmmm...is that me? Am I her BeeBee? I woke up this morning before she did and some piddling around the house. She coughed herself awake (bless her heart!), so I decided to go ahead and fix her milk cup before she got riled up. Standing in the kitchen making that cup, I heard her singing "BeeBeebeeBeeBeeeeeee..." and my heart swelled. I know that she wanted me. Her BeeBee. I don't care that it's not Mommy. She doesn't care, either.

No comments: