Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Flood of Water and Emotions

Flood of Water:
God told Noah to build an Ark. We didn't necessarily get that warning, or any warning for that matter. When I walked up to the school building this morning, I saw from a distance what appeared to be ice coming from the front door. As I got closer, it looked like a scene from some sci-fi, X-Man movie where the guy can shoot sheets of ice from his hands. So, I eased around to the other entrance, only to be greeted by Mrs. Cassity - Cheshire cat grin included - and she asked whether I wanted the good news or the bad. The bad news? A pipe burst and flooded a third of our school, my room included. The good? It didn't bust in my room, as it did a few years ago with only a minor mess. The ice came from the water that had been gushing from the front doors since an unknown hour this morning. When Mr. O'Rourke, our amazing custodian, got there this morning, he was greeted by the water literally pouring out of the building.
Looking into my classroom. Those ceiling tiles are from the room across the hall where it all started.
My classroom. If you look hard you can see where the water comes up the bottom of the stool. Laren's room. Water standing about 2 inches here, too.
The room where it all started. That's dirt accompanying the water.
Where the ceiling literally fell out. What you can't see to the left is how the ceiling braces broke through.
Looking out of the office doors. Servpro finally arrived around 9. Apparently they don't do things in a hurry.

Looking down the hall toward the History wing.The area in front of Mrs. Free's and Mrs. Cassity's offices. Mrs. Cassity's office. There shouldn't be a glare from the carpet. We worked through the morning to get stuff off the floor so it could begin drying. Servpro came in after that to start sucking up the water. When I left a little after 3 today, they were still working hard. Good thing a blizzard is coming tomorrow, and the powers that be cancelled school.

Flood of Emotions:

If wading through two inches of water just to get to my classroom weren't enough, I got some of the worst news (in my opinion, anyway) that I could get pertaining to school. We learned today that the best principal, albeit the ONLY principal, but definitely the BEST principal I have ever had, is moving on to bigger and better things. Not all is 100% official, yet. She is still waiting on the approval of two different boards, but for us, the end is coming. Now, I realize that I haven't been pregnant for quite sometime, but I still seem to be at an all-time emotional high. I greatly appreciate her telling me a few minutes in advance, so I didn't blubber like an idiot in front of a group. I just cried a little - hearing it the second time around did NOT make it easier, only softened the blow a bit. I am so thankful and appreciative of the time that I have had to work with her. I feel like I learned so much. I am so happy for her and the opportunity that she is soon about to have; I know it is a step in the higher direction for her. And, like she said this morning, God's timing is NOT always what we have laid our for our lives. However, selfishly somewhere in the back of my fantasy world, she would be my principal until I retired (which would put me in my 50s and her almost 70...), but I know that all good things must come to and end. She is loved (even still!) and will be greatly missed, because she is MUCH more than my boss. :)

No comments: