Thursday, July 30, 2009

My New Year's Resolution

I know most of my posts are about Olivia and family life, but I am taking time this time for just me. Today is my birthday. I am 29. I never in a million years thought this would affect me, but for some strange reason, it has. Not the actual day - I had a great birthday, a cake, presents, friends and fam - the works. But I am sad! I have actually cried several times today, and have no idea why! I don't know if I feel this is the beginning of death of my youth? Ugh, I am such a freak.

HOWEVER -- I feel that I want to embrace this, not fight it. With age, comes wisdom, right? I am adopting a new policy for this year - a resolution, if you will. (BTW-Teachers have their own calendar - August starts our year, not January...) My very good friend, Carrie, is my inspiration for many things - blogging, being positive, not slapping people, etc. At the end of the school year in May, she said that she wanted to start this year dressing more professionally because she thought it would make her feel more positive about her job. I think she is right, so I am doing this too. At the end of my year, I had all but given up on myself. I went to school in baggy clothes, t-shirts, gauchos, and flip flops (not the nice, sandal-y ones - hubbed out ones). I let my weight gain during pregnancy get the best of me - literally. I hid behind whatever I could. Even though I can't wear my pre-pregnancy clothes yet, I do not want to go back to school looking or feeling this way about myself, because the kids pick up on that very quickly. Now, I am not going to be wearing suits or anything - that's just not my personality - but I do want to focus on looking like a teacher, not a college student. So I will be taking my birthday money clothes shopping, and I am sort of excited. Another exciting thing is all of the new jewelry that I will be wearing. Thanks to Carrie, again, I will be sporting new [FREE] Premier jewelry, and I am freaking out excited. Without meaning to sound superficial, I know this will make me sparklier, and with the more professional clothes, will help me to feel better about myself.

SO, here's to the last year of my twenties...they've been fun and I will be VERY sad to see them go, but I am really looking forward to what my future holds...

2 comments:

Carrie said...

You are much too kind! My sour attitude last spring did little to inspire anyone, esp the students. Your friendship and love was one of the few things keeping me together in those dark months. Hopefully our new attitude will shine through this fall! And thank you for earning free jewelry, as it helped me earn back to school clothes!! And Happy Happy Birthday!

Retta said...

Hey girl! I love you so much! I wish that I could have helped you more on your birthday. Just keep in mind that I am almost (wait for it) 33 and I'm still going. :)

I am inspired to be better too at work. I still need to get rid of 20 pounds or so to fit back into all my cute work clothes that you helped me pick out. At least you have a beautiful little one to show for it. I just have a belly and blubber. Enough about me. Your students love you or love to hate you. Either way you know you've done your job. Hang in there and keep me posted.