Tuesday, February 2, 2010

One year ago today...

February 2, 2009: 7:47pm -- I can remember this as if I were living it all over again. I am in the hospital bed, staring at the clock, wondering how long it is going to be before I get to push then hold my beautiful new baby in my arms. Little did I know that in one hour from now I would be in an operating room, preparing to have a c-section. I was prepared to go all night - Olivia wasn't. So we had to go in there and get her. The result was this precious picture:


Although I knew that I was instantly bonded the first time I felt her wiggle, then kick, then push my ribs, but I never knew how much I would really love her...until this.

Then I had to leave her there, because she had an apnea episode. No doubt this was the hardest day of my life. She stayed in the NICU for a week.


The first few weeks at home were a struggle for me. I did suffer from some postpartum, and although it was a horrible feeling, I know that I didn't have it as bad as other women, and for that I am very grateful.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time on maternity leave and the time that I got to bond with my precious baby. I took lots of pictures and gave lots of kisses! She is such a sweet and loving little girl!
When I first found out I was pregnant and calculated my due date, I was not excited about being out for the middle of a semester. However, only having a few weeks to go after returning from maternity leave was a sweet deal. Especially since we got to go to the beach after school got out! It was Michael's and my first real beach trip as a couple, and Bitty's first trip, period. She wasn't a huge fan of the water, but we hope that will change for this year!

School started without a hitch, and we stayed busy. Things didn't seem to let up all semester long, and before I knew it it was Halloween, then Thanksgiving, and then Christmas. You know, I have always heard that as an adult the years seem to get shorter, but I have never believed it, until now.

Overall we had an amazing year with our amazing little girl. I can't imagine never having her in my life, and although I know that things will eventually be bumpy because one day she will be a teenager, I know that no matter what I will love her forever. Being a Mom is the best job ever, and I am so proud of my baby. Next to my husband, she is the love of my life. She has changed so much this year - not just in and of herself - she has changed me. I can't believe that she is one, and that this year has flown by so fast. Thank you, Lord, for this precious gift.

1 comment:

Katherine said...

Goodness, I remember that whole day/night. What an amazing year it's been! :)